Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It's not every day you meet a living goddess (and her mother)

After completing a wonderful English language training at a school in Patan (southern Kathmandu) some other teachers and I were offered the chance to meet the Kumari.  Kumari is followed by many people in the Valley is believed to be a living goddess.  There are, in fact, 3 Kumaris.  Each Kathmandu, Baktapur, and Patan has there own Kumari.  The Kumari is chosen from among a few families at a young age and is sequestered in her home (see picture below) except on a few very special occasions each year.  Her diety-ness is maintained until her first menstruation when a new Kumari is found.  On this particular day, we met the former Kumari, the former Kumari's mother, the current Kumari, and the current Kumari's mother (and her former roommate).  

The role of the Kumari and society's expectations of her have changed significantly in the past few generations of goddesses.  The former Kumari is shy but speaks fluent English and is currently employed at her former school as an accountant.  The current Kumari gets private lessons from visiting teachers based on the same curriculum as her more earthy peers.  Much has been written about the subject and I recommend From Goddess to Immortal written by a former Kathmandu Kumari, Rashmila Shakya. 

Giving a donation in exchange for puja (red rice paste on the forehead).
Kumari's have to do their homework too; the Kumari's computer.
In case you aren't in the know.
The Kumari's compound.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Simon,

    I found your blog through a link from another Nepal-based ETA, and I am looking forward to reading your past posts.

    I have MANY questions for you as I will be headed to Nepal as an ETA in just a few short weeks. At the moment however, I am struggling with the question of what to pack. Do you think I need to bring solar panels and other such equipment with me for powering my small laptop and camera? Also, what is the internet access situation like? Presumably you are able to connect regularly...but how and from where exactly? Also, the orientation packet I was given suggested some solar-power related gift ideas, but I thought you may have other ideas as well.

    Thanks!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Simon T.,

    how I can contact you via mail?

    Best regards
    Michael

    ReplyDelete